If you need assistance setting up your ROIspy account or just want to ask a few questions about the service, you're in the right place! If you have any questions, complete the form below - a member of our support staff will be in touch with you shortly.
If you have questions regarding the ROIspy.com service, please call us at (773) 272-0732 or email us.
Your ROIspy.com account will enable you to make the right decisions about your online promotions. Within this tutorial you will learn how to set up your account, read the reports and get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. Follow along closely and you will receive valuable information necessary to determine and improve your return on investment. If you have any questions about this tutorial, please contact a member of the ROIspy support staff at email@example.com.Setting up your Account:
Follow this guide to set up the ROIspy service for one domain and the rest will be easy!
Click on the "Sites" option from the navigation menu to add the first site you would like to track the ROI for, then select the "Add New Site" option.
Entering information on a Domain
This page requests general information from you on the domain you are adding and how you would like to track that domain.
Enter the name of the domain you would like to track. For example, myURL.com. Then enter a description of that URL for your own records. For example, "website that details general information about myURL.com"
Determine how you would like to track your domain; you have four options:
- Campaign visits only
- Campaign visits and top 20 search engine visits
- Campaign visits and all visits with a referring website
- Campaign visits and all visits even without a referring website
Please carefully select the type of visits you would like to track for this site. Every tracked visit is charged as an event and will be counted toward your overall monthly usage.
Adding a Campaign
Once you have added a domain into your account, you will need to add "campaign" information for that URL. To do so, select "campaign" from the navigation menu. Select the Add New Campaign option. You will then be directed to a page to enter information about the campaign.
* Select which site you want to add a campaign to.
* Select the campaign category. For example, is this an Overture campaign? Is this an email campaign?
* Name the campaign. For example; Overture, or Email 57
* Determine your average cost per visitor for this individual campaign and enter it in the field provided.
Retrieving the Campaign Code
Once you have added the campaign you want to track you are directed to the "Campaigns-View" page to retrieve the site specific tracking code.
Change the URL with which you advertise to include the ad campaign tracking code parameter. This unique campaign code should be used in URLs you submit to search engines, banner programs, newsletters, etc.
For example, if your url is http://www.mydomain.com, you would need to add a campaign tracking code which would result in a url similar to http://www.mydomain.com?xcmpx=0174.
If your URL already contains a ? and other parameters, you should append the campaign code to the end of the URL with a & sign instead of a ?. So if your URL is currently http://www.mydomain.com?q=food, after appending the campaign code, it should look like http://www.mydomain.com?q=food&xcmpx=0174. Be sure to test your new advertising URL in a browser to check that it is working properly before submitting it as your advertising URL.
Retrieve the Tracking Code
Once you have obtained the campaign code you must retrieve the tracking code. Select "Sites" from the main navigation menu to be taken to the "Sites-View" page. From this location select the "Get Tracking code option by selecting the checked box option. You will be redirected to the "Get HTML tracking code" page.
For each campaign, there will be a "visit page" where the visitor first enters your site and a "conversion page" which means that the visitor converted by completing a desired action (e.g. subscribing to a newsletter, purchasing an item). The code will allow us to help you track those visitors who completed the desired action.
Placing the Visit Page Code
Highlight and copy the HTML code provided. Place this code after your head tag and before your body tag at the page you are promoting.
Placing the Conversion Page Code
Highlight and copy the HTML code provided. Place this code on a page within your site that you identify as the "end of sale" page. An end of sale page could be an online receipt page, a thank you page, etc.
Once you have completed these steps, you will begin to see visitor conversion data in the "Reports" section of your ROIspy account!
ROIspy.com provides clients with three reports: Campaign report, Referrer Report and the Keyword Report.
CAMPAIGN REPORT: Enables clients to see the performance of their websites by site and individual campaign.
REFERRER REPORT: Enables clients to see what referrers are sending them traffic as well as the quality of that traffic for each site and campaign.
KEYWORDS REPORT: Enables clients to see what keywords visitors are using to find their site according to sites and campaigns.
Scroll down for information on how to read these reports:
1) Choose the site: If you have more than one site in your account, specify which site you want to review by selecting it from the drop-down menu.
2) Choose the campaign: After you selected the site to review in section one above, review an individual campaign for that site or all campaigns for that site by selecting it from the drop down menu.
3) Sort Columns: Choose how you want to review the individual reports. Sort the report by date, visits, cost, sales, conversion or conversion percentage.
4) Customize time field: Select the custom time button and specify a date range to review all of the data about an exact period of time.
5) Preset Time: Select a preset report time and review data for the last seven days, the current or previous day, the current or former week, or the current or previous month.
6) Submit: Once you select how you want to view the report, click submit and the ROIspy system will return the report according to your specifications.
1. I added the campaign tracking code to the URLs, but ROIspy still does not show any traffic?
There are a few things that must happen before ROIspy will be able to track your visits and conversions:
1. Retrieve the tracking code for each site by going to the "Sites" page and selecting "Get Tracking Code". Add the “visit” and the “conversion” page tracking code to your site.
2. Be sure to change your URL for each ad campaign to include the tracking code shown on the “Campaigns” page.
3. Make sure that the campaign is actually sending your visitors to the correct URL. It is usual for a PPC search engine to take a few days to review your changed URL before activating it. Look at the reports provided by the PPC to see if you are getting the clicks.
2. When I look at the “Campaigns Report”, I see that there were visits and even conversions, but the cost column contains $0.00?
The “Cost” column is calculated by multiplying the “number of visits” times the “average cost per visit” for the specific campaign. In order to the see values other than $0.00 in the “Cost” column, you should provide the average cost per visit for each campaign. Go to the “Campaigns” page, find the campaign in question, and click the icon in the “Edit” column to specify the “average cost per visit”.
3. How do I find out the “average cost per visit” for a campaign?
You should refer to the reports provided by the company that runs this campaign for you. For example, if this company is a PPC search engine such as Overture / 7Search / FindWhat, you can find out the average cost per click by using their reports section. ROIspy suggests looking at the last few weeks worth of clicks to determine the most accurate average click/visit cost.
4. What is the flashing "verify" symbol by my email address?
This means that you need to verify your email address. Click on the flashing symbol and a message will be sent to your email account. Check your inbox and click on the verification link within the message. We verify your email address because we must have a reliable way of contacting you.
5. I changed the "tracking criteria" for a site, but ROIspy is still tracking the type of visits I had previously selected.
Each time you change the tracking criteria for a site, there will be a change in the tracking code that should appear in your "visit page" and "conversion page" html code. In order for us to track visits according to your new tracking criteria selection, you must first replace the tracking code for the site.
To get the new code:
1. Login to your ROIspy account.
2. Select "Sites" from the left navigation menu.
3. Click the "get tracking code" symbol adjacent to the site's name.
4. Copy and paste the new tracking code into your site's html code, following the instructions carefully.
6. Why do I need to add the "?xcmpx=" parameter to my advertising urls?
ROIspy assigns unique ID numbers to each campaign you create. By appending this campaign ID to your advertising urls with "?xcmpx", you are enabling us to identify from which campaign (if any) a click originates.
7. What is an "Event"?
An "Event" is a visit or a conversion that was tracked by ROIspy.
8. How do I keep track of a specific keyword's performance within one of my campaigns?
In order to track keywords within your ROIspy account, you can include an additional parameter at the end of your advertising URLs, called "xkwdx". You would set the "xkwdx" parameter value equal to the keyword that resulted in the click/visit. Some search engines allow you to use a wildcard for this keyword value, while others require you to submit a separate URL for each keyword.
Once you have included the "xkwdx" parameter, your advertising click-URL should look something like:
When there is no "xkwdx" parameter, ROIspy tries to extract the keyword from the referrer, however, oftentimes the referrer does not include the keyword. Using "xkwdx" should help solve the problem.
9. The initial visit page is on my own site, but the conversion (sale) page is on a site that I do not own. Can I track conversions even though I don't have access to place conversion code on the final conversion page?
While ROIspy would be able to track the visits to your own site, there would need to be conversion code on the appropriate page of the other sites you affiliate with in order for the conversion to be reported by our system. You may want to consider asking the other site owner(s) to place the conversion code on their pages, explaining the benefits for them. If you (their affiliate) are able to track and therefore improve the conversion ratios from your advertising campaigns, they will receive more hits from you and ultimately more sales!